clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Leicester City keep their 100% Champions League record intact with a 1-0 win over FC Copenhagen

It wasn't pretty, but the Foxes weathered the storm to remain atop Group G with a perfect record through 3 games.

Leicester City FC v FC Copenhagen - UEFA Champions League Photo by Ross Kinnaird/Getty Images

Leicester City maintained their perfect start to Champions League life, defeating a stubborn Copenhagen side 1-0 at the King Power Stadium. The Foxes were in desperate need of a morale boost after a 3-0 thrashing at the weekend, meaning a convincing win was a must.

Unfortunately, the team came out of the opening 10 minutes looking the far weaker side. The visitors were dominating possession and the Foxes seemed rather content to let them have it. When in possession they were way too predictable, and constantly losing the ball because of it.

An injury scare to Wes Morgan and things were turning ugly fast. Thankfully the skipper seemed to play it out after some early struggling and was back to the heroics we knew him for last season, throwing himself at a Copenhagen cross into the box and sending the ball behind for a corner.

Leicester City FC v FC Copenhagen - UEFA Champions League Photo by Ross Kinnaird/Getty Images

As the half progressed, Leicester eased into the game. Maybe we have the flares from the visiting supporters to thank as the fiery antics might've inspired the Foxes to produce the spark they needed to take the lead.

Jamie Vardy played in a rather high ball into the back post, which Islam Slimani did well to cushion down into the path of Riyad Mahrez, who jumped in with a poachers finish to make it 1-0 to Leicester.

But you're always the most vulnerable when you've just taken the lead, and the Foxes nearly paid the price a couple minutes later. Once again giving up a free header off a corner, as Cornelius managed to escape Huth and drag his header wide from inside 10 yards, a lucky break for the home side.

After that scare, the Foxes went into halftime 1-0 up, although not entirely deserved.

The second half was all about preserving the lead, as the home side looked to sit back and catch Copenhagen on the counter attack. After about 15 minutes of failed punts up the field, the Foxes finally started to get back to their best. Danny Drinkwater had a nice volley attempt off a corner and moments later Mahrez decided to work some of his magic, dribbling in past 2 defenders before seeing an effort blocked.

The Foxes thought they'd found their second in the 70th minute after a Marc Albrighton cross found Slimani at the penalty spot. The Algerian's volley smacked against the crossbar, but he recovered the rebound, and sent a header into the back of the net, only to be denied by the linesman, who flagged for a dubious offside.

The Foxes looked to hold on for the remainder of the game, but things got testy in the closing minutes and required a world-class save from Kasper Schmeichel to deny a certain goal for the visitors in the 90th minute.

Either way, the Foxes managed to hold on and become the first English team in history to win their first 3 Champions League games. It's the kind of momentum booster Leicester needs to kickstart their league campaign, which has been shaky at best. Hopefully making history gives them the confidence they need to return to the top half of the Premier League table, but for now they sit atop Group G with 9 points.