clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Leicester’s dismal away form continues with a 2-1 loss to Watford

Will the Foxes ever win a Premier League game on the road? Probably not anytime soon if that performance is anything to go by.

Watford v Leicester City - Premier League Photo by Christopher Lee/Getty Images

Going what would be considered an easier run of games, many fans assumed this is where Leicester would begin to string some results together and climb up the Premier League table.

Two matches and two losses later has us shaking our heads.

The Foxes were nothing short of dismal today, lacking any form of cohesiveness from the attack to the defense. In all honesty, it seemed that neither side could string a chain of passes together, but in the end it was Watford that came out worthy winners.

Generally, the last thing you want to do as a visiting team is concede an early goal, yet Leicester were down within 32 seconds, some lackluster defending after a cross from Pereyra was flicked on by Deeney and slotted home on the half volley by Capoue to make it 1-0 to Watford, a nice goal, but ultimately a nightmare for the Foxes faithful.

It went from bad to worse in the 12th minute when Pereyra cut inside from the left, smashing the ball into the top corner from 18 yards to make it 2-0 to the home side.

That second goal woke the Foxes up, as they immediately responded, some nice link up play feeding Jamie Vardy in the box. Although, he was turning away from goal, he was clumsily fouled in the box by Britos and awarded a much-needed penalty. Riyad Mahrez calmly slotted it home from the spot to bring the Foxes right back into the game.

Watford v Leicester City - Premier League Photo by Tony Marshall/Getty Images

The Foxes packed on the pressure in search of an equalizer for the remainder of the half. Watford weren’t fazed whatsoever, keeping their defensive shape and getting in front of any threatening chance from the Foxes. Leicester were also absolutely dire when it came to their final balls, any ball from a threatening position never seemed to find a white shirt, and it took far too long to transition from defense to attack, this lack of pace resulting in Watford having plenty of time to get plenty of bodies behind the ball.

Watford had an opportunity to kill off the game in the 38th minute as Deeney broke free, thankfully his square ball to Amrabat was slightly off his run, allowing the Leicester defense to clear what could’ve been a certain goal.

The second half was more of the same, descending into Sunday League madness. Neither side could pick a pass out and it became a stop-start affair, with foul after foul completely killing the flow of the game.

Vardy nearly capitalized on a sloppy back pass in the 48th minute, only for Gomes to clear it in the nick of time.

Early on, Leicester did have some chances to break, but the best chance of the half definitely went Watford’s way as the Leicester defense was completely skinned from the left hand side, a cross found the head of Pereyra, whose header from point-blank range was superbly saved by Ron-Robert Zieler.

Leicester did apply a spell of late pressure in the final quarter of the game, but any cross or corner played into the box either couldn’t clear the first man or completely missed everyone, it really was pure desperation with no game plan whatsoever.

After a couple dubious appeals for hand ball in the dying stages of the game, Leicester lifelessly slumped to their second straight defeat. It was a dismal showing lacking any solidity at the back and no cohesiveness up top, leaving the Foxes still searching for their first away win of the campaign.