clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Leicester draws 2-2 with West Ham in controversial match at the KP Stadium

Referee John Moss was at the center of the action in a whistle-filled 2-2 draw as Leicester extended its lead at the top of the table to eight points.

Dan Mullan/Getty Images

Controversy stole the show as Leicester City secured a 2-2 draw against West Ham United at the King Power Stadium. The Foxes came into one of their more difficult remaining fixtures on a 5-game win streak, but coming up against a team of West Ham's quality was never going to be a walk in the park, especially with a number of bizarre decisions from referee Jon Moss that have successfully made him the least popular man in Leicester.

The first half proved to be a cagey affair, with danger coming from the first minute through a Dimitri Payet free kick finding its mark on the head of Cheikhou Kouyaté. The header somehow managed to bounce off both posts and fall safely into the hands of Kasper Schmeichel, but triggered a nervy opening ten minutes from the hosts. Luckily the Foxes began to wake up, creating a chance or two of their own as the teams exchanged blows back and fourth across the pitch.

The hosts struck first blood in the 18th minute, breaking on a swift counter from a quick Schmeichel throw that found its way to Riyad Mahrez. The Algerian put in a beautiful ball to a charging N'Golo Kanté, who laid it off for Jamie Vardy to smash home in classic style. The physicality of the game went up a notch, with the whistle blowing left and right and multiple confrontations between the two sets of players. In the minutes leading up to half time the card distribution began, with Vardy, Payet, Mark Noble, and Winston Reid all going into the book of John Moss.

The second half started with Leicester looking the brighter of the two teams, with a great chance for Vardy off a Shinji Okazaki ball through the 6-yard box coming in the 55th minute. Unfortunately only a minute later Vardy went from being the hero to being the zero as he was sent off after a second yellow for a dive in the penalty area. With their star man off the pitch, the Foxes looked to hang on for the remaining 30 minutes, putting all ten men behind the ball at all times.

The visitors had the odd chance or two, but going into the 83rd minute it appeared as though the Foxes had secured the three points, putting on a defensively sound display. That all changed when Moss awarded a penalty to the Hammers as a battle in the Leicester City penalty box resulted in Reid going to ground after being pulled by Foxes captain Wes Morgan. Andy Carroll slotted it home from the spot to tie the score

Only two minutes later it went from bad to worse for the Leicester faithful as Aaron Cresswell smashed home a screamer from the top of the area, making it 2-1 to the visitors, a Foxes loss all but certain. Still the home side continued to press foreword and towards the 90th minute, Huth was pulled down in the West Ham box, an almost identical foul and perhaps even more blatant than the one given on Morgan, yet no call, resulting in cries of outrage across the King Power.

When all hope appeared to be lost into the final minute, Jeffrey Schlupp raced into the penalty area, only to be shoved out by Carroll, with Moss immediately pointing to the spot. Leonardo Ulloa rescued a deserved point for the Foxes, slotting it home from the spot and restoring the lead at the top of the Premier League table to eight points.