clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Recap - Leicester City 0-0 Arsenal

Leicester played Arsenal to a 0-0 draw in their home opener at the King Power Stadium, earning their first point of the campaign.

Michael Regan/Getty Images

As far as the game, this was a dull one, with the Foxes content to let Arsenal keep possession and play on the counter. Arsenal lacked any form firepower up front in the opening 45 minutes and relied on spreading the ball from side to side, never really managing to get inside Leicester's 18-yard-box. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain had a nice shot from outside the area that went wide of goal and Santi Cazorla's curling free-kick effort was superbly denied by Kasper Schmeichel.

On the other side of the pitch Jamie Vardy looked to put one by the team he nearly joined earlier this summer, constantly running at the Arsenal backline. Unfortunately for Vardy, he struggled to make a direct impact on the game, being carefully marked by two Arsenal defenders for the majority of the first half.

Leicester finally found their feet on a swift counter, with Riyad Mahrez putting in an excellent through ball to a charging Vardy. Goalkeeper Petr Čech smartly came out of his goal but was unable to keep ahold of the ball. Danny Drinkwater came through on the follow up snatching the ball away only to be immediately taken out by Arsenal captain Laurent Koscielny.

On first glance it looked like a penalty, but referee Mark Clattenburg was having none of it, much to the annoyance of the Leicester faithful.

Looking back at it, it's not clear whether or not Koscielny gets a foot on the ball, so perhaps a good call from the referee. Still 9 times out of 10 you see that sort of thing called, but a decent 45 minutes from the Foxes as they went into the break level at 0-0.

Leicester came into the second half looking the more dangerous side, with great ball movement between Drinkwater and Mahrez starting to cause some issues for the Arsenal defence. Unfortunately the positive start was cut short as Nampalys Mendy was forced off after getting his boot caught on the pitch as he worked to cut off a pass down the wing, coming down hard on it in the process. He was able to walk off the pitch, desperate to continue, but was in far too much discomfort to go on, a worrying injury for the Foxes.

Arsenal's introduction of Mesut Özil was what really brought a cutting edge to the game. The German playmaker frightened the Leicester defence as he looked to find an opening, with the Foxes struggling to clear the ball from their own box.

Just when everything was starting to get rather shaky, Ahmed Musa was introduced and instantly made an impact, skinning Héctor Bellerín and darting into the box. Before he could make his next move the Spaniard clearly hacked him down from behind, appearing as though he got nothing on the ball. It was a foul hands down. A foul that would definitely be called anywhere else on the pitch. But Clattenburg was again having none of it, allowing Arsenal to break on the counter, which thankfully came to nothing.

The Foxes had two more chances to close out the game, with Mahrez brilliantly darting by Koscielny, only to have a decent effort denied by Čech and a last minute free-kick put straight into the wall by Drinkwater.

Overall it was a much better display from the Foxes, far more energetic and similar to that of last season. Not to mention a solid point against a side that we failed to earn anything against last year. Despite that, it's a bitter feeling for Foxes fans as Mark Clattenburg has most definitely become the most hated man in Leicester.