clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Foxes earn first win of the season with 2-1 result against Swansea

It wasn't pretty, but Leicester held on to grab their first win of the season.

Stu Forster/Getty Images
Leicester City got their first three points of the season, defeating Swansea 2-1 at the King Power Stadium.

The home side looked to be the better side for the majority of the first half, with Danny Drinkwater dictating play for the Foxes in the middle of the park.

The visitors struggled to keep possession and seemed even sloppier at the back. Jamie Vardy proved a constant threat, with the Swansea back four struggling to track his runs in behind.

In the 10th minute Vardy was easily able to break away, only to be taken out by Swansea's Federico Fernández, giving the Foxes a free-kick in a dangerous position and earning the defender a yellow card.

Riyad Mahrez managed to sky the free-kick and looked rather sloppy throughout the match, holding on to the ball far too long and constantly slowing the Foxes quick counters.

Drinkwater on the other hand, put in an outstanding performance, with him and Vardy on the same wavelength throughout the match.

Leicester's domination was finally rewarded in classic fashion with Daniel Amartey winning the ball in the middle of the Foxes half and playing it to Mahrez, who cushioned a lovely header down for Drinkwater who knocked it over the top for Vardy to latch onto and bury into the back of the net to give the home side the 1-0 lead.

Leicester carried that lead into the second half, despite Swansea growing into the game in the latter stages of the first. The visitors lacked any real threat up top and were rather sloppy in possession, having no real idea what to do with the ball.

The Foxes doubled their lead in the 53rd minute off a corner. The ball was nicely whipped in and headed by Robert Huth, only to deflect off a Swansea defender and fall to Wes Morgan who smashed home the volley from 6 yards out.

Swansea immediately tried to get back into it, with Kasper Schmeichel being a true sweeper keeper to deny Fernando Llorente a one vs. one chance on goal. Seconds later Leicester were back in the Swansea box, with Shinji Okazaki winning the Foxes a penalty.

Unfortunately the earlier play ended with Schmeichel needing to be subbed off for treatment. He did return to the bench, so hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Mahrez stepped up to take the penalty, but took it with no real conviction as Łukasz Fabiański was easily able to get a hand to it. That makes 3 penalty misses out of his last 4, evict begs the question, why is he taking them?

Either way it didn't seem to rattle the Foxes all that much. Huth and Morgan were really proving to be a handful for the Swansea backline, with Morgan nearly acrobatically latching onto a free-kick at the back post in the 66th minute.

Swansea got one back in the 81st minute thanks to a nice cross that found the head of Leroy Fer. That's when it all started to get shaky for the Foxes, with the team suddenly deprived of energy and the soaked pitch conditions providing no help.

Thankfully the Foxes were able to go on and secure their first win of the season, one that could've been a lot easier than the scoreline suggested. Either way, they go into the International Break on a high note, with a nice confidence booster going into a tough match against Liverpool at Anfield.