clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

The Claude Puel era got off to a flying start as Leicester took down Everton 2-0 at the King Power

The wins are starting to pile up

Leicester City v Everton - Premier League Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images

Puel opted for the classic 4-4-2 formation, having Riyad Mahrez slot in just behind Jamie Vardy up top, with Ben Chilwell and Demari Gray going down the flanks in hopes of capitalizing on the Toffees’ lack of pace.

This tactical switch proved to be a smart one as Leicester piled on the pressure in the opening exchanges. Wes Morgan came the closest to scoring inside 10 minutes after he was able to connect with a flick-on from Mahrez, only for Ashley Williams to stick a leg out and deflect the effort over the bar.

The Foxes grabbed themselves the lead in classic fashion after a poor set-piece attempt from Everton in the Leicester half was cleared out to Gray, who swiftly evaded three challenges before picking out Mahrez, who squared the ball across to Vardy for a simple tap-in on 17 minutes.

Leicester continued to run at the Everton back four and nearly grabbed another goal to show for it in the 22nd minute, after Vardy was able to cut inside on the left and deliver an inviting ball in towards Mahrez, who managed to outmuscle Williams before firing a shot straight at Pickford from the penalty spot.

Everton began to find their footing on 27 minutes and should’ve equalized after Wayne Rooney played a spectacular through-ball to Aaron Lennon on the right. Lennon should’ve opted to dink the ball over Kasper Schmeichel, but thankfully for the Foxes, he unselfishly squared it over to Dominic Calvert-Lewin, who was unable to connect from 4 yards.

That missed opportunity was punished 2 minutes later after Gray was able to dart down the left yet again and deliver a low ball towards goal. Rather than simply attempting to block the ball, or let his goalkeeper come for it, Everton right back Jonjoe Kenny stuck a leg up in attempt to clear the ball, only to comically slice it into the back of his own net to give the Foxes a comfortable 2-0 lead.

Everton should’ve had an instant response after Lennon was played in yet again, only to be completely taken out by Christian Fuchs. There was no question it should have been a penalty for the Toffees’, but luck was on the Foxes side as referee Andre Marriner somehow missed the foul.

Leicester carried that 2-0 lead into the break, but with Everton looking a tad more threatening in the latter stages of the half, the win was far from sealed. Thankfully for the Foxes, Lennon, who’d been Everton’s biggest threat throughout the game, was hauled off at halftime for Oumar Niasse.

Rather than attempting to build on their lead, Leicester seemed content to sit back and soak up pressure, while looking absolutely dire while in possession for the entirety of the half.

Even with all this pressure Kasper Schmeichel was never really called into action and the Foxes rode out 2-0 winners, climbing to 11th place in the Premier League. The overall performance gives Foxes plenty of positives to take going into what should be an interesting contest away to Stoke.