clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Despite a spirited performance, Leicester City were no match for table toppers Manchester City, falling 2-0 at the King Power

I’m starting think those guys are pretty good

Leicester City v Manchester City - Premier League Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images

Facing an unbeaten Manchester City side was always going to be a tough task for the Foxes, but things were looking up 2 minutes in when Jamie Vardy was played clean through, only to be completely taken out by Vincent Kompany. Despite the majority of Foxes fans’ firm belief that the challenge warranted a red card, referee Graham Scott had other ideas and only presented Kompany with a yellow.

Questionable decision aside, Leicester had the first real chance of the game in the 16th minute, after Riyad Mahrez was able to skin Fabian Delph and ping a dangerous ball across the goalmouth that Kompany nearly steered into his own net.

City had a dangerous chance of their own 4 minutes later after Leroy Sane was given acres of space on the left to exploit. The German cut it back to a charging David Silva, who fired a first time strike towards the top corner, only to be denied by a well-positioned Kasper Schmeichel.

The visitors spent the remainder of the first half dominating possession, with the Foxes only real touches coming through clearances that were sent straight back to their opponents.

City took the lead on the nick of halftime after Sterling and Silva ripped the Leicester defence open, giving Jesus an easy tap-in to make it 1-0 and effectively kill any momentum Leicester hoped to have going into the half.

The Foxes began the second half with a bit more intensity, earning a free kick in a promising position in the 51st minute. After a couple flick-ons, the ball bounced to Harry Maguire, whose volley took a slight deflection off Delph before smacking against the post.

Devastatingly for Leicester, that deflection fell straight back to City, who ruthlessly countered. The ball was played out wide to Sane, who had ample time to cut it back to Kevin De Bruyne. The Belgian made no mistake and slotted home from the edge of the box to double the visitors lead.

That all but defeated the Foxes, who nearly gave up another from the kickoff, only for Jesus to fire an effort from 2 yards out straight at Schmeichel. Leicester chased shadows for the remainder of the game, with their only chances being a couple plays into Vardy that were rightly called offside.

Overall, the Foxes certainly showed fight and aggression throughout the game, but City’s class proved too much for them. Leicester should have a much better chance against West Ham on Friday, but for now they sit 12th in the table approaching an incredibly busy fixture list.