clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

1990: David Kelly stars in nine-goal thriller

The week in Leicester City returns with a humdinger of a match

David Kelly’s hat-trick helped City win this thriller

We here at Fosse Posse love to bring you the latest news and opinions on our great football club, which we all love, Leicester City. But we also like to reminisce and look through blue tinted glasses at how our team have come through the last 133 years.

We’ll delve way back and highlight the likes of Arthur Chandler, Frankie Wortho and others, as well as Cup Finals, landmark achievements and moments that have just filled us with joy (and sometimes despair)!

After a little break, history is back (well I guess it never went away!) as we look at a battling City fighting for their life in the second tier under David Pleat.

Saturday, 1st of December, 1990

Leicester City 5 - Newcastle United 4

The Christmas spirit was in full effect at Filbert Street on this cold December day, as both teams gifted each other many chances and goals in a pulsating match between City and Newcastle.

Amazing these two teams took part earlier in the year in 5-4 game up at St James Park when City we’re winning 4-2 but failed to see out the match and it ended with defeat to the Toon.

Newcastle started off the scoring in the 17th minute when Mick Quinn nodded home a Kevin Brock cross from the left wing but City we’re soon back in the game and hit back immediately.

A well driven Gary Mills free-kick on the left was headed home by on-loan defender Terry Fenwick to equalise before Mills supplied David Kelly from the right and he slipped the ball past John Burridge to give them a 2-1 half-time lead.

City extended their lead on 63 minutes as Kelly headed a corner towards goal but it flicked of David Oldfield on the line to denied the Irishman his second, but he soon would gain another when he hit a penalty after Peter Reid was bungled over in the box and City lead 4-1 with 20 minutes to go.

A fragile City though soon we’re under the cosh as Newcastle made changes and pushed forward for goals. Micky Quinn scored again as he spotted Mike Hooper off his line and lobbed the ball home.

Minutes later Newcastle scored again to scare the Filbert Street faithful as Liam O’Brien headed home a flicked on corner to make it 4-3 with 15 minutes to go.

It was all United now and Quinn almost completed his hat-trick and the comeback but his shot was well saved by Hooper.

Somehow City managed to break up field and after Roy Aitken made a defensive mistake, Kelly raced through and struck a low shot to complete his hat-trick and relieve City nerves.

However the scoring or the hat-tricks weren’t over yet as Quinn burst through 50 seconds later, with a suspicion of hand ball and hit his third goal from 10 yards out to give City fans a nail-biting finale.

However they managed to hang on and earn a much needed 3 points in their battle to stay up that season, which would eventually go down to the last day of the season.