With the season postponed until April 30th at earliest, Jamie Vardy will be stuck on 99 Premier League goals for a while longer. What better time to review every single goal from worst to first, starting today with numbers 99-61.
There has to be a worst and a late consolation in a loss to Burnley sounds right. Claude Puel call the race for Europe “over” after this, and he was very much correct.
98. 26/09/15 Leicester City 2-5 Arsenal (FT: 2-5)
We got smashed. Not fun.
97. 09/10/16 Liverpool 2-1 Leicester City (FT: 4-1)
96. 26/09/15 Leicester City 1-0 Arsenal (FT: 2-5)
And again, but it was fun to be ahead for a little while.
95. 17/04/16 Leicester City 1-0 West Ham (FT: 2-2)
Fine in hindsight, but hands up if you thought the sky was falling when he got sent off.
94. 21/03/15 Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Leicester City (FT: 4-3)
The last loss before the Great Escape, but we didn’t know that then.
93. 07/04/18 Leicester City 1-2 Newcastle United (FT: 2-1)
Consolation goal at the start of a really disappointing late season collapse.
Easy goals. Bad games. We lost.
89. 23/09/17 Leicester City 2-3 Liverpool (FT: 2-3)
Again, no impact on a loss = bad goal.
88. 10/02/19 Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Leicester City (FT: 3-1)
Came on to make a point after being dropped by Puel. Still bad though.
87. 09/03/19 Leicester City 2-0 Aston Villa (FT: 4-0)
Great to see him back and scoring, but I don’t want that to be a penalty, for or against us.
86-85. 14/02/16, 30/12/17 Arsenal/Liverpool 0-1 Leicester City (FT: 2-1)
Fun to go ahead! But we lost.
84. 13/05/18 Tottenham Hotspur 0-1 Leicester City (FT: 4-5)
As above, but a more entertaining game.
83. 02/03/19 Watford 1-1 Leicester City (FT: 2-1)
A sign that he was ready to hit form in Brendan Rodgers’ first game...but we lost.
82-81. 11/08/17 Arsenal 1-2 Leicester City, Arsenal 2-3 Leicester City (FT: 4-3)
Put us ahead twice in a back and forth game, but all for nothing after two late goals.
80. 16/09/17 Huddersfield Town 1-1 Leicester City (FT: 1-1)
A penalty to rescue a single point against Huddersfield.
79. 03/02/18 Leicester City 1-0 Swansea (FT: 1-1)
Another disappointing point earned.
78. 21/05/17 Leicester City 1-1 Bournemouth
The Foxes dropped to 12th on the last day, but Bournemouth were decent then.
77. 30/03/19 Leicester City 2-0 Bournemouth (FT: 2-0)
A simple header to finish off a comfortable win.
76. 18/03/17 West Ham 1-3 Leicester City (FT: 3-2)
Bundled in to ensure our first away win of a very mediocre season.
75-72. 03/10/15, 29/09/18, 01/12/18, 04/12/19 Leicester City 1-0 Norwich/Newcastle/Watford/Watford (FT: 2-0)
Weird that this is a category, but here we are - penalty to open a 2-0 win over a bad team.
71. 20/01/18 Leicester City 1-0 Watford (FT: 2-0)
But this time the penalty was given against Leicester legend Molla Wagué.
70. 26/02/19 Leicester City 2-0 Brighton (FT: 2-1)
Another win iced later on. Shiny new manager Brendan Rodgers watched from the stands.
69. 24/11/18 Brighton 1-1 Leicester City (FT: 1-1)
One of Puel’s early experiments at dropping Vardy ended like the rest: he came on to rescue a point from the penalty spot.
Every goal before now was a penalty or simple close range finish. None of these changed the game, but were well taken goals.
65. 23/11/19 Brighton 0-2 Leicester City (FT: 2-0)
Missed penalty, rebound scored, VAR shenanigans, re-taken, Vardy goal. An excellently confusing run of events and one we definitely all enjoyed.
64. 17/10/15 Southampton 2-1 Leicester City (FT: 2-2)
Kicked off a 2-goal comeback, at a time when the Foxes were becoming famous for them.
63. 09/03/19 Leicester City 3-0 Aston Villa (FT: 4-0)
This game was still slightly in the balance until goal 99 turned it into a party.
62. 31/10/18 Brighton 0-2 Leicester City (FT: 2-0)
The Seagulls were really pushing hard for an equaliser until Vardy finished them of in the 96th minute.
61. 02/02/16 Leicester City 2-0 Liverpool (FT: 2-0)
A poachers goal to finish off a fun game. You might remember the first goal from this win a little better.